We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Amateur Operator is a Threat to National Security  (Read 2186 times)

Offline textim

• Raleigh, NC
  • Hello? *tap tap* Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
Raleigh, NC

cmradio

Re: Amateur Operator is a Threat to National Security
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 1126 UTC »
 What a bunch of paranoid, delusional crackheads! I hope Michael Moore makes good use of this >:(

Peace!

** edit **

Here's what the thing looks like, folks!
Sooooo "Top-Secret", that the media has pics of it for you!

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/04/23/tech-air-force-plance-launches.html

And its specifications:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 1137 UTC by cmradio »

Offline RF BURNZ

• Titusville, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 1831 UTC »
Is there any question that "Ham Operators" are a threat to national security?  Listen to 3950 late on Friday night, my God, the country is going to hell in a hand-basket. 

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 1904 UTC »
Is there any question that "Ham Operators" are a threat to national security?  Listen to 3950 late on Friday night, my God, the country is going to hell in a hand-basket. 

Question: Are they identifying spy satellites like the subject in this article:

HI-TECH HQ: Greg Roberts with one of his space-spying instruments - and he has plenty more equipment inside the house, with which he and other amateur astronomers track secret satellites.
o Icom IC-756ProII, ProIII, Alinco DX-70, Kenwood TS-680s
o WinRadio G303e, Degen/Kaito 1103/DE1103, Stoddart NM-25
o 1/2 wave 80m Dipole used with several tuners
o Tuned loops from 2' thru 16' diam. capable of 160m thru 10m

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 1037 UTC »
" What a bunch of paranoid, delusional crackheads! I hope Michael Moore makes...."

But you repeat yourself!

Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 2022 UTC »
The article claims that "He said that his group had been labelled a threat to national security by the US Congress".  So, the subject of the article says that someone else says he is a threat to national security.  But, the article quotes no source other than a man blowing his own horn.

The X-37 is not unknown by any means.  It has been on display a few times.

Visually tracking items in orbit is not horribly difficult (I have done it myself with things like the ISS, using an off the shelf telescope and postioning system), making predictions based on an orbital observation is simple mathimatics assuming you have more than one visual observer at the same time.

While it is very cool that he has done this, I just don't see it as the horribly big deal the article would have you believe.
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns