We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SW logs, including unids thanks to A13  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
SW logs, including unids thanks to A13
« on: April 01, 2013, 0735 UTC »
As you can probably guess, A13 is messing things the heck up!  It's certainly messing me up.  :)  Here are a handful of logs, some identified, some I could use a hand with until schedules solidify.  All except the Argentine logged tonight, April 1.  

March 31  

15345, Argentina al Exterior, 2339-2345.  Spanish-language music, interspersed with talk and laughter from two male presenters.  Signal fair, the clearest I've ever heard this station.  SINPO 43344.  

April 1  

9665, Voice of Russia, 0004-0012.  A wide-ranging English-language interview between a female presenter and an Irish rock musician.  Signal good, though subject to a transmitter hum.  SINPO 44344.  

9530, Adventist World Radio, 0322-0330.  East African music, sometimes with a presenter speaking over it in a very deliberate way.  Arabic or Somali (this was actually Tigrinya) talk in a male voice between songs at around 0325, then back to music.  Abruptly off at 0330.  Signal fair, but subject to loud ACI from Spain on 9535.  SINPO 43344 at best, 32232 at worst.  

11750, Voice of America, 0331-0346.  Somali news programming presented by at least one man and one woman, including telephone conversations, several mentions of Afghanistan and one of Taliban, and a Somali VOA web address.  Signal fair to good, SINPO 43343.  

11670, Iran Voiri (presumed), 0333-0346.  Talk, presumably news, shared between male and female presenters.  One possible mention of Afghanistan.  Language sounded south or southwest Asian - Nepali? Sinhala? Uzbek?  Per EiBi, Azeri.  Signal fair, though subject to rapid flutter that almost sounded like nearby RTTY.  SINPO 33333.  

My guess is possibly India for the 11670 catch, and Radio Sudan? Eritrea? somebody religious? for the 9530 one.  Anybody have a better idea?  

Edited to add: As of April 6, I was able to figure out those unIDs!  Per EiBi's excellent A13 list, the 9530 was AWR to East Africa.  I was right on the religious aspect, but not the language.  That was Tigrinya.  Aha!  As for the 11670, I suspect Iran in Azeri, though I can't be as sure of that one.  If it was, then I was right about the general location of the language when I suggested Uzbek.  I'm not as familiar with far eastern European and western Asian languages as I am with others. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 0405 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Nella F.

Re: SW logs, including unids thanks to A13
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 0100 UTC »
Check out www.primetimeshortwave.com. Your Russia & 11.670 don't make sense.   ;)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 0311 UTC »
I distinctly heard Voice of Russia IDs with the Russia one, though.  Maybe it was an error over there?  As for 11670, somebody was definitely there.  

Edited to add: I found an updated VOR schedule at www.mt-shortwave.blogspot.com, and I was right.  9665 is a scheduled frequency for Russia in English to Latin America at 0000-0100 UTC.  Still no idea on the two unids, though. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 0810 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 1736 UTC »
On your 11670, I'm sure that was AIR. Does anyone know who the nearby RTTY is? I remember hearing that signal when Jordan was on 11670 in  the late 90"s. The current Jordanian kings father was still alive then & he was an active amateur operator. I'm not even sure if Jordan has a shortwave presence anymore. BTW, I once heard the late king on 20 meters on my dx398 when he was at the Mayo clinic (in Wisconsin?  Minnesota??) his call was JY1 & he had a very cool,cultured voice "...this is Juliet yankee one..." It was kind of exciting at the time.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 2340 UTC »
There is an annoying RTTY on 11690, at least at my QTH.  I suspect what I was getting as interference on 11670 was more flutter than another mode, but who knows?  I tried listening for any RTTY tells on sidebands and didn't get anything.  *shrugs*  I'm going to try for both 9530 and 11670 again tonight and see what I come up with. 

On the subject of hearing the Jordanian king on 20 meters, wow!  Did you seriously?  I have a case of audio envy now!  I never knew he was a ham.  Minnesota, by the way, for the clinic location. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 0243 UTC »
Here's a you tube of King Hussein on air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ukFsHvoHco

I remember reading about him at the time being not only a ham but also a pilot. & people sometimes heard him on the aero bands on HF. He assigned the first three call signs in Jordan to himself (JY1) , his son,the current king (JY2) & his wife (JY3). He always had a huge pileup whenever people heard the juliet yankee one call. He was an exceptionally cool guy.

KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 0904 UTC »
... Huh.  I always knew he was good people, but I never knew how much so.  :) 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 2114 UTC »
I think I'm mistaken about Jordan on 11670, it was 11690....I think.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns