We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Dead End Q vs Z Match  (Read 438 times)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Dead End Q vs Z Match
« on: August 17, 2024, 0110 UTC »
Hey All,

Just a theory question, maybe not so modern in origin, but a curiosity.

Back in ancient times, one method of matching the Z of a simple / single tank crystal radio to either the detector or the antenna was through the use tap of  leads run to a panel mounted tap switch.

But this method left all unused leads hanging in dead end effect ,  spoiling the tank Q.

Cases were made that the increase of energy transfer  via Z matching “ could “ (??) overcome the Q hit of dead ended leads into a net “ up” (by HOW much ? ) of RF energy recovery.

I admit, my grasp of this “ battle of the two phenomena “  isn’t as much up to snuff as I would like.

Does anyone envision any physics state that could result in a net “ up” via Z matching, despite being  “ fought “ by Q loss.

I understand the layout “convenience”  of a  front panel tap switch.

But is this ALWAYS an undesirable building technique ?

FWIW, I use a  “hump” of coil turn that slightly arcs up and then back down to the winding.

That way the “ connection point” on the coil doesn’t break the coil plane very much, nor does it have any twists.

A single lead  with a flat ( non toothed ) copper alligator clip is brought TO the coil. Viola, no dead end leads left hanging .

Definitely not as convenient as a rotary switch, but I feel it is probably a more efficient way to go.

Again, just trying to get some theory input on a question that has puzzled me for a while.

de NQC
« Last Edit: August 17, 2024, 0213 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns