We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DX Video Airchecks  (Read 136 times)

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
DX Video Airchecks
« on: October 10, 2024, 0034 UTC »
From time to time, I'll shoot some DX video airchecks.. I feed the audio directly from my radio into the phone so its not some windy, echo video held up to the radio.  I don't do anything special, just a headphone cord with a 3.5mm male (1/4") plug on each end, one plugs into my Zoom H1 handheld digital recorders headphone jack and the other end plugs into a special adapter that has jacks for a 3.5mm microphone plug and 3.5mm headphone plug that then goes into the USB-C port on my Iphone 15 Pro Max.  The ZoomH1 is fed audio from the radio with the same type of cord as mentioned above and it goes from the radio to the line-in input of the Zoom H1.

You'll see alot of that set up and my DX gear in the videos below, which feature my favorite SW radio station. I use a TEF6686 Radio, DXEngineering Preamp, ZM2 Antenna tuner and 15 ft circumference Wellbrook Loop

Below are two videos of Radio Nacional de Amazonias on 11780khz. They operate from a site NW of Brasilia, Brazil with 100kw, beamed at 312 degrees azimuth. I am 250 miles NW of anchorage, 350 miles SE of Nome, some 5000-6000km out of their target zone but a perfect combination of a number of factors lead to delivering this kind of signal to my radio from 11780khz on a regular basis. I have searched far and wide for clips as good as mine, even from within Brazil and haven't come up with any

Recorded Oct 3, 2024 at 0122UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR1RJKM9EYw

Recorded Oct 4, 2024 at 0107UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI89QXdslgw
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns