We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: This DX'er Was A BBC WS "NewsDay" Guest  (Read 588 times)

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
This DX'er Was A BBC WS "NewsDay" Guest
« on: August 02, 2021, 0048 UTC »
Back on Tuesday July 27 UTC time, I was listening to the BBC WS' NewsDay program and they did a short piece on Lydia Jacoby, an olympic athlete from Seward, AK who won a gold medal, I texted them in just saying Hi and giving a shoutout to Alaska, since I'm in Alaska. They read my text out on air and said, jokingly "Weve got a reporter from McGrath on his way to Seward right now 300 miles away".  

I texted them again and said if they really wanted a report from alaska, I could record something. I included my phone number and 5 minutes later I got a call from London, and 10 minutes later I was live with their sports guy talking about it.. not because I know squat about sports, but because i'm in the media nad I'm in Alaska. It wasnt so much serious reporting as it was .. kinda cool, we have someone in Alaska type of thing.

I recorded the broadcast of the 15490kHz transmission via Santa Maria de Galleria (Vatican) to central Africa. Here's the recording:https://drive.google.com/file/d/14BWER8l1H9RvrZU27eW157D_9BMkEmrP/view?usp=sharing

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Re: This DX'er Was A BBC WS "NewsDay" Guest
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 2119 UTC »
Wonderful story - Thanks for sharing.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Elf36

Re: This DX'er Was A BBC WS "NewsDay" Guest
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 1232 UTC »
That is really cool. I'm glad you were able to do that. Hopefully they'll keep you on as the 'Alaskan correspondent'