We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: opening to SE Africa, E.Canada and ME, 11/9  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
opening to SE Africa, E.Canada and ME, 11/9
« on: November 10, 2012, 1348 UTC »
Did anybody else notice the ridiculously great conditions early on the 9th by UTC?  Southern and eastern Africa, eastern Canada, and to a lesser extent the Middle East were booming.  It was brilliant!  I nearly fell over when I made a couple of these catches, and then again when I ID'd a couple more per EiBi.  Here, have a log.  All these were snagged using a DX398 and external whip antenna, taken out of the apartment to ditch the RFI.  All new catches for me, except Radio Tamazuj.  

1550, CBSI-8, La Romaine, Quebec, 0203-0209.  French talk from first a female, then a male presenter.  Heard two possible mentions of Lavalle, and two possible mentions of Radio Canada.  Into music at around 0207.  Signal fair, subject to fading, mixing with multiple unknown 1550's.  What I was hearing matched to the signal from CJBC in Toronto, confirming it as a Premiere Chaine affiliate.  SIO 333.  

4876, Voice of Iranian Kurdistan, 0335-0337.  Faint Kurdish talk in what sounded like a male voice was audible, as well as a clear carrier on sidebands, especially USB.  Signal weak but present, a loud noise floor and some local RFI interfering.  SIO 222.  

7120, Radio Hargaysa, 0340-0344.  Somali talk in a male voice was clearly audible at peaks, but difficult to discern in static otherwise.  Signal weak but present, contending with some loud RFI and the noise floor.  SIO 222.  

750, CKJH, Melfort, Saskatchewan, 0345-0356.  Tuned in to a Niel Diamond song, followed by 'Walk On By'.  After this song concluded, a promo for the station's morning show played, including multiple clips of listeners and at least one song snippet, as well as two or three definite CK 750 ID's and the music from the '60's and '70's slogan.  Signal good, WSB in Atlanta audible underneath.  SIO 444.  

7315, Radio Tamazuj, 0400-0416.  On at the hour with a Radio Tamazuj ID, followed by welcome messages and other information.  Into news stories with musical stingers in between, read by a female presenter.  Multiple interview clips throughout, some recorded, some down phone lines.  Conversation between male presenter and telephone guest near 0415.  At least one Radio Tamazuj ID in addition to the one heard at sign-on.  Many mentions of Sudan, Juba and Khartoum, and at least one reference to Kordofan.  Signal very strong, subject to some mild fading.  SIO 545.  

5915, NBC Zambia, 0425-0430.  Bemba talk in both male and female voices was audible at peaks, though muffled by static otherwise.  Signal fair at best, weaker at worst, contending with a loud noise floor.  SIO 323.  

I actually managed a weak Zambia catch while I was still out with the radio, then tried again when I came home and got an even clearer signal!  *boggles*  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 1248 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Jhkayakr

• Virginia Beach, Va.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: opening to SE Africa, E.Canada and ME, 11/9
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 1359 UTC »
Where are you located?
Virginia Beach, Va...
IC-R75...ATS-909X...Satellit 800...
Yaesu FTDX3000...FT897D...SDR Play RSPDX
PAR End Fed..Hex Beam..40m80m dbl bazooka
QSL please to: jhkayakr@yahoo.com ...

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 0002 UTC »
Right in the middle of Madison, WI.  Quebec and Saskatchewan are not easy catches from here, at least not with this setup.  I couldn't believe it when I caught that SK station; I had to check I wasn't accidentally tuned to the Zoomer 740 in Toronto! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 0043 UTC »
On the 8th at around 1200 UTC, with morning coffee, I was noodling through 31 meters with my Tecsun PL660 portable and whip and came upon CBC Nord Quebec on 9625.  Although hearing them is no big feat here in upstate NY, I was amazed at the recep - just like a local, SIO=555 with very little fading.  Incredible signal from Sackville!  Unfortunately I had to head off to work...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN EN35
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 0114 UTC »
11/12/2012 0108Z

Picking up CK750 pretty well tonight, but also getting WSB as well.

Looked up CBSI-8 on 1550 and they're supposedly running only 40W.  Hearing French on 1550 now. Its mixed with other stations, but its dominating for the most part.  CK750 is putting out 25 kW.

Don't hear any of the other stations.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 1241 UTC »
If they're running only 40W, conditions *must* be right!  I checked before doing anything with that log, and that's the only French-speaking Canadian (or French-speaking North American, for that matter) station on that frequency.  The transmission I heard matched the flamethrower CJBC 860 in Toronto exactly, so it was definitely a Premiere Chaine affiliate.  40W goes a long way?  XD  

Radio Hargaysa is in and out, I think their schedule might be a little irregular still, though don't quote me on that.  I still boggle at getting them at all, never mind Iranian Kurdistan.  I've only managed a carrier on that frequency once, and then gave it up as a mystery.  

Nice one with Nord-Quebec!  It tends to be fair here, never clear enough to be a local, though in the evenings it isn't bad.  I only wish I could say the same for something like Indonesia or Bangladesh, or good gosh, Mongolia... I know I know, forget it.  :P  

Edited to add: Could the French-speaking station on 1550 actually be CBEF in Windsor, Ontario?  I remember hearing something about a frequency change for them... could they have shifted to 1550 from 550?  I need to look that up.  Either way, not sending that log anywhere until I'm sure who I heard. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 1046 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns